Wednesday 20 August 2014

20th of Blaugust - Q - Quiz-time!

When I think of Wednesday in Blaugust I think of Thom's regular quiz posts. And low and behold, what letter should happen to fall on a Wednesday other than the letter Q? So I'll be throwing one of my own in the ring.

It's going to be one of movie scenes. There are twelve clips (I was feeling somewhat imperial) from YouTube on here and it's up to you to guess where they come from. Just leave your guesses in the comments below. By Thom's rules, no googling or searching is allowed. And don't open the videos in YouTube itself of you risk finding out where they come from in the comments (it took me a long time to find scenes where the movie title isn't in the video title). If you can't see the clips then get of that phone or tablet and open it on a real computer. I'll give you until Friday to submit when I will provide all the answers.

So let's get started!

Scene 1: One of the most crushing of insults.

Scene 2: Now that is how you deliver a great line in a bad film!

Scene 3: Another great way to remember Robin Williams.

Scene 4: I'm French! Why do you think I have this outrageous accent?

Scene 5:  I take it black as well. My coffee that is...

Scene 6: I think this passage might be a little out of context...

Scene 7: Not a line is spoken but this you could say this scene is simply smashing!

Scene 8: I'm pretty sure those who went to a certain play should get this one!

Scene 9: Do you know who else owned a pig farm? Amanda Vanstone. I'm pretty sure there's a pig themed joke in there but I'm not sure what it would be.

Scene 10: Some of the worst best ever dialogue you'll ever come across.

Scene 11: I really could have filled this entirely with Arnold Schwarzenegger lines!

Scene 12: They originally used a prop door but Jack Nicholson was a volunteer firefighter and broke it too easily so they swapped it for a real one for him to break down.

So there are all my scenes. Post your answers in the comments bellow. I don't know what prize the winner will get but the person in last place might possibly receive a complimentary box of regret marshmallows!

4 comments:

  1. Because I'm constantly mocked at work for having never watched any movies ever, I'm letting the boss answer this quiz for me.

    1) Billy Madison
    2) Street Fighter
    3) Dead Poets Society
    4) Monty Python and the Holy Grail
    5) "I got nothing". Then, after cheating, "I thought it might have been Airplane!"
    6) Pulp Fiction
    7) "That was fucked up"
    8) The Princess Bride
    9) Snatch
    10) "No idea"
    11) ... (We feel like we should know, but we don't)
    12) The Shining

    Ok so I could've gotten five of those on my own, but out of that whole list I've only seen four of the movies. Would rather not watch a lady get her head smashed in again, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1: Oh dear, not a good start. Not Happy Gilmore, it's Billy Madison.

    2: I never have actually seen it, but this is the famous line from Street Fighter the Movie, right?

    3: Dead Poet's Society. I'm sure someone else on the internet has noted this, but Whitman seems incredibly appropriate given the circumstances.

    4: Monty Python's Holy Grail. Yep, well, at least I'm going to get some points.

    5: Yep, I have no idea at all, I write quizzes, I don't answer them. Snakes on a Plane.

    6: Pulp Fiction. Bible passages out of context make the world go around.

    7: Is that Freddy, or Jason I can never remember, so one of the SAWs or one of the Friday the XIIIs...I think It's SAW? Nah, Fridays the XIIIth...I don't watch these movies, and scenes like this are why.

    8: I don't think this clip is from where you think it is. The Princess Bride.

    9: Ooh...nup, got nothing. My brother sitting next to me says Snatch. So, I guess if you count his answer I get this...otherwise I'd say Resovoir Dogs and know that it's wrong.

    10: Plan 9 from Outer Space? MST3K binge time, methinks.

    11: Predator...no wait...Commando. Yeah, that's right, I think.

    12: Here's Johnny! The Shining. My wife once painted this in bright rainbow colours apart from the white eyes and teeth for a school project. I want to mount it on the ceiling of our guest bedroom to prevent people from overstaying their welcome. Or ever sleeping again.

    Yeah, better than I thought.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. Billy Madison
    2. Street Fighter
    3. Dead Poets Society. Ugh.
    4. Monty Python and the Holy Grail
    5. No idea.
    6. Pulp Fiction.
    7. Not a clue!
    8. The Princess Bride, of course.
    9. Something from Guy Ritchie. I'm going to guess Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrels.
    10. Not even going to guess.
    11. Commando, of course.
    12. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. The Shining.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Quiz Answers:

    Scene 1 - Turns out you all know your Adam Sandler movies. That was straight out of Billy Madison

    Scene 2 - Of course this had to be from none other than Street Fighter: The Movie.

    Scene 3 - Congratulations. It was from Dead Poets Society

    Scene 4 - And once again you all got that one. Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

    Scene 5 - Surprised nobody got this by the correct title. It was called Airplane in the US (half marks to Ale) but we now it in Australia as Flying High!

    Scene 6 - You all know Tarantino. That was from Pulp Fiction.

    Scene 7 - Not surprised nobody got that one (but I did give half marks to Thom for guessing it was Fridy the 13th related). “Jason X” was the last one they did by putting it in space. Always a bad sign for a movie franchise. I hindsight that probably wasn’t the most appropriate to show without a warning.

    Scene 8 - Trust those that all went to Pitchy’s play to correctly guess The Princess Bride.

    Scene 9 - I was expecting a Lock Stock guess as they’re so similar. However that was from Snatch. (Half marks to Thom. You should listen to your brother.)

    Scene 10 - That was from that infamous Ed D Wood Jr. film staring Bela Lugosi and someone pretending to be Bela Lugosi with a cape over their face. Plan 9 From Outer Space.

    Scene 11 - That was from the movie Commando.

    Scene 12 - Finally, this was from the Stanley Kubrick film The Shining. He was a bit of an Ass when directing this film apparently. He made Shelly Duval (the female lead) look terrorised by actually pushing her to the point of making her sick and even did 127 takes of the same scene (a world record) to get it right.

    So as it stands. Here are the scores.

    Thom: 10 Points (1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7 (1/2), 8, 9 (1/2), 10, 11, 12)

    Ale: 8.5 Points (1, 2, 3, 4, 5 (1/2), 6, 8, 9, 12)

    John: 8 Points (1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, 11, 12)

    ReplyDelete